PDA

View Full Version : coolant drain

Maurice
07-27-2009, 09:00 PM
I got a 2001 honda shadow 1100c with about 25k. wondered if it is necessary to drain coolant and refill. what happens if you don't, just top off coolant when needed. I have never drained my car radiators and never had cooling problems. Is it different with bikes? anyone not drain theirs?

maurice

chizuck
07-27-2009, 10:43 PM
It is recommended to change it every two years. It can get crap in it over time and be hard on the aluminum. It does not cost much and does not take long. Just make sure you use honda anti-freeze it has anti corrosive agents in and never put tap water in it. It has to be distilled.

Dcfam
07-27-2009, 11:36 PM
I got a 2001 honda shadow 1100c with about 25k. wondered if it is necessary to drain coolant and refill. what happens if you don't, just top off coolant when needed. I have never drained my car radiators and never had cooling problems. Is it different with bikes? anyone not drain theirs?

maurice

I would change it if i were you, but i'm sure it might be ok with the top off. Just make sure you use the correct type of coolant. It don't have to be Honda, but it has to free of something, just can't remember what that something is. Check the search, i know i saw lots of threads on coolants. I think i even made a few. I remember someone saying the Honda coolant is very good, but i'm just too lazy to run all the way out (in a 4 wheeled vehicle) to the Honda Dealer to get Honda coolant. Post some pics Maurice, or they're gonna noob you forever noob.

Alumni
07-27-2009, 11:51 PM

maurice

"I have never drained my car radiators"

Seriously? How many miles do you have these sludge pool radiator vehicles?

Maurice
07-28-2009, 07:13 AM
"I have never drained my car radiators"

Seriously? How many miles do you have these sludge pool radiator vehicles?

143k on a 10 yr old buick lesabre, 135k on a 10 yr old 5.0 mustang, and my first toyota dont remember what kind or yr but had it for about 9 yrs. So sludge is the byproduct of coolant in radiator huh. be nice if there was some additive that prevented sludge.

maurice

old skool rulz
07-28-2009, 11:42 AM
OH SHIT, do you really need to change the coolant in the car?, OOOOPS, got 175,000 miles on the van, if I change it will it leak?

just joking, but damn I'm bored.

Maurice
07-29-2009, 08:06 PM
thanks for the responses, other than old skool.:)
I suppose i should just change it out, just to be safe. Guess i gotta take the fuel tank off. Anyone just move the tank to the side on a tall stool or something so they don't have to disconnect fuel line and get another source of fuel to start it once filled up?
Alumni, best signature!

maurice

apache driver
07-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey Maurice; did I buy my Corvette from you? six months after I bought the fucking thing I had to drop a grand on a new radiator!...................FUCKER!

Maurice
07-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Hey Maurice; did I buy my Corvette from you? six months after I bought the fucking thing I had to drop a grand on a new radiator!...................FUCKER!

Shit, ok, i'll play along.---- Thanks again for the easy bucks! That'll teach ya to not check out the rust collected around the radiator cap!:pissed:

maurice

apache driver
07-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Shit, ok, i'll play along.---- Thanks again for the easy bucks! That'll teach ya to not check out the rust collected around the radiator cap!:pissed:

maurice

How bout a refund?

chuee77
07-29-2009, 09:42 PM
I have a 1999 1100 ace w/35000 on it and have never changed coolant,although it will be drained and changed within next 2 weeks

Dcfam
07-30-2009, 01:48 PM
You could probably run a Shadow with no coolant, but i'm not going to try. Mark chuee77's bike off my list of to buys. For 10-20 bucks and 15 minutes of time I think i'll stick with the coolant change every few thousand miles.

quam
07-30-2009, 01:59 PM
be nice if there was some additive that prevented sludge.

maurice

there is; it's called coolant.
the honda stuff is awesome, it's premixed so you just pop and pour.
as for the tank thing, firstly, pulling the tank off is just 1 bolt and 1 hose. it's not hard enough to want to cut corners. as for feeding fuel to top off the coolant level, there will be plenty of fuel left in the bowls to run the bike for a min.

VoodooMaster
07-30-2009, 02:12 PM
I have a 1999 1100 ace w/35000 on it and have never changed coolant,although it will be drained and changed within next 2 weeks

You aint got no ACE cuz we aint got no pics of your ACE

NOOBTHATMIGHTHAVEANACEBUTMIGHTNOTBUTWECANTTELLCUZYOUDONTGOTNOPICSUP.

Maurice
07-30-2009, 06:35 PM
ok ok pic will be up by weekend, but really, seen one stock 2001 shadow spirit vt1100c....
I do love the hell out of it, like to look at it every time i see it, so can't blame you.

will do the coolant change and you say enough fuel to run it to bring correct coolant level huh? Even if not, i could just put in reservoir box and it should make it's way in right?

maurice

quam
07-31-2009, 04:11 PM
sure, when i refill, i just fill the reservoir and the rad to level then run the bike. it won't really drop a whole lot that way. yes, idling doesn't really use all that much fuel.

InsaneWizayne
08-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Just changed the coolant in my bike due to a hole in the radiator. The local Honda dealer didn't have any honda coolant so I went next door to advanced auto parts and got the Prestone 50/50 premix. The only thing you have to watch out for is the silicates...make sure it doesn't contain any.

Maurice
08-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Just changed the coolant in my bike due to a hole in the radiator. The local Honda dealer didn't have any honda coolant so I went next door to advanced auto parts and got the Prestone 50/50 premix. The only thing you have to watch out for is the silicates...make sure it doesn't contain any.

how did you plug up the hole in rad?

maurice

InsaneWizayne
08-02-2009, 09:19 AM
how did you plug up the hole in rad?

maurice

I got some JB Weld and let it sit for a day

Maurice
08-03-2009, 07:21 PM
You aint got no ACE cuz we aint got no pics of your ACE

NOOBTHATMIGHTHAVEANACEBUTMIGHTNOTBUTWECANTTELLCUZYOUDONTGOTNOPICSUP.

heres the bike..

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo312/Maurice55-/IM000916.jpg?t=1249341042